Chai Walnut Pie (Sugar Free!)

   



  I made this recipe because my Mom said if we did not have any sugar for the month of January, she would make a cheesecake and everyone who did not have sugar could partake. About halfway into the month I got a hankering for pie, but none of the sugar free pie recipes I found online used honey as a substitute. I had also been missing my chai lattes I would make for myself in the morning, because the concentrate contained sugar. That was enough to give me inspiration for a pie recipe. The filling is chai themed, with honey to balance out the autumn tasting pie, and walnuts for an additional crunch. Even my brother liked it, who tends to be finicky about foods and sweets. Coconut whip is delicious with it, apples tend to go with it well, too.

Chai Walnut Pie

You need:

1 nine inch pie crust (check out my other recipe, Grams Pie Crust, which is simple and sugar free)

1 1/4 cups crushed walnuts

1/2 cup honey

4 tbsp. melted butter (I used unsalted)

3 egg whites

1 1/3 cups flour

1 tsp baking powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/8 tsp black pepper

1/4 tsp ground allspice

1/8 tsp. ground cloves

1 tsp. cinnamon

1 tsp. ground ginger (I used dried)

1/4 tsp. tsp ground cardamom (optional)

1/4 tsp. nutmeg

1 tsp. vanilla extract

1/2 cup cold water


Instructions:

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Mix the walnuts and 1/4 cup honey together in a bowl. Set aside.

Mix the flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and dry spices together. Whisk in a bowl and set aside.

Mix the melted butter and egg whites together in a seperate bowl.

Combine the flour mixture and the butter mixture and mix until thoroughly combined. Add the vanilla, the rest of the honey, and the water to the mixture. Mix thoroughly. Add the walnut mixture to the main mixture and mix thoroughly. Dump the mixture into a thawed pie crust and bake at 350 degrees F until the center is firm to the touch, about 35-40 minutes. Serve hot or cold, best with a strong flavored ice cream in my opinion.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dancing in the Rain

Backstabbed

Growing+glowing